ISO 17100 Requirements for Translation Services
The ISO 17100:2015 standard integrates terminology used in the translation field, by creating a standard structure for translation services. It simplifies the interaction between clients and translator in terms of their contractual needs. The standard does not apply to interpreters.
ISO 17100:2015 provides requirements for the core processes, resources, and other aspects necessary for the delivery of a quality translation service that meets applicable specifications.
Example Translation services aspects include:
- Commissioning work and translation
- Proof read and review
- Contractual requirement and project management
- Traceability of the translation process
- Overall quality management of the service.
The ISO 17100 Quality Standard ‘includes provisions for translation service providers (TSPs) concerning the management of core processes, minimum qualification requirements, the availability and management of resources, and other actions necessary for the delivery of a quality translation service.’ A translation service provider is a person or organization that provides professional translation services.
ISO 17100 certification Benefits for the organization:
- Gives confidence that potential translators work to a recognized standard and are committed to maintaining those standards in the industry
- Prove the company’s capability to provide a quality service through a fully traceable system, ensuring case files are fully backed up and retrievable and that important work is not lost.
- Reduces the need to spend time checking qualifications and CPD records of freelancers to ensure they meet the standard
- It ensures that client cases are managed, coordinated and scrutinized for accuracy by a qualified case manager eliminating the margin for error and / or customer complaints.
- Increase customer confidence and giving reassurance to the prospective clients that you follow a recognized specialist standard while under taking their translation requirements.
- Provide assurance that you employ appropriately qualified staff, both interpreters and translators are qualified to undertake the task in a professional and effective manner to the latest industry standards.
- Heighten morale and motivation as employees have defined processes and procedures that result in a quality and consistent service being provided.